frugal living - myo mayo

Are you finding yourself with more time on your hands with social distancing?
Are you spending more time in your homes but with less of a budget?
Well hello there. That's been my life for the past few years. I have tips! I have budget saving recipes. And I'm happy to share them!

Making mayonnaise is not only easy but also such a money saver. The first time I tried to make mayonnaise it was a total failure. There are a couple of tricks that I didn't know about then...

The first trick is: 
Only use a room temperature egg - don't even bother trying with anything else

The second trick is:
Use a stick mixer and one of these long thin mixing tubes.




The third trick is:
Use a really light flavoured oil (my favourite is rice bran oil) DON'T USE OLIVE OIL- especially not extra virgin.

I'll be sharing my favourite recipe to add this mayonnaise to in the next few days... but you can use it in your sandwiches, or any other mayonnaise way you like... store in the fridge in a jar. I'm not sure how long it lasts because ours is always finished within the week, but I'd say you'd get 2 weeks out of it.

Mayonnaise
Makes: about 400mL
Cost: approx $2.50
Ingredients:
1 ROOM TEMPERATURE egg
1 good pinch of salt
1 tsp white wine vinegar (you can probably use other vinegars)
1 tbsp mustard
400mL rice bran oil (or light flavoured olive oil or other light flavoured oil)

Process:
1. Put the oil in a jug or bottle that is easy to pour while using the stick mixer in the other hand.
2. Crack the egg into your mixing tube.
3. Blitz the egg lightly with the stick mixer so that all of it is the same colour.
4. Add the vinegar, mustard and salt, blend lightly to combine.
5. I have made a short video and added it below to show you how to do this... but here are the written instructions:
Have the oil in your dominant hand, ready to pour, start the stick mixer with your other hand in the egg mix.
Start slowly pouring the oil into the egg mixture, keep the stick mixer going the whole time.
As soon as you start the feel it thicken, you know you've done it, keep going, keep adding oil.
Start moving the stick mixer up and down a bit.
Finish pouring in the oil.

6. Transfer to a jar.
7. Don't tell your family, they'll eat it all before Monday.

Comments